- GW Home
- About GW
- University Life
- News & Events
- Faculty And Staff
Knowledge in Action
Service-learning is a credit bearing, educational experience in which students participate in organized service activity that meets identified community needs and reflects on the service activity in such a way as to gain further understanding of course content, a broader appreciation of the discipline, and an enhanced sense of civic responsibility.
*Robert Bringle & Julie Hatcher, Office of Service Learning, Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis*
The Nashman Faculty Grants for Engaged Scholarship are designed to:
- Promote and support engaged teaching and research;
- Improve communication among faculty about engaged scholarship; and,
- Support professional development opportunities related to engaged scholarship.
Funds are available to support:
- Development of new academic service-learning courses
- Efforts to engage entire departments community-engaged scholarship through teaching, learning and research
- Activities that promote individual or group professional development in community-engaged scholarship
- Ongoing academic service-learning activities
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Community-engaged Teaching and Research
Nashman Center staff offer resources and support to faculty and student leaders implementing service-learning into their courses and programs. From course development to the Service-Learning Scholars, the Nashman Center works to enhance and grow GW service-learning in the District and around the world. In addition, the Nashman Center works to highlight the Engaged Scholarship of faculty and students.
Contact us at email@example.com.
"Straight Talk From the Street"
On November 17, 2014, The StreetSense Players, under the direction of Leslie Jacobson and Roy Barner, performed "Straight Talk from the Street" in the Marvin Center Amphitheater at the George Washington University. This event was a part of the annual Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week.
Find more videos of the performance on Vimeo.