- GW Home
- About GW
- University Life
- News & Events
- Faculty And Staff
Freshman Day of Service and Convocation
About the Event
On Saturday, September 12, 2015 The George Washington University hosted the seventh annual Freshman Day of Service and Convocation event officially welcoming the Class of 2019 into the Colonials community!
President Knapp, Provost Lerman, faculty, staff, and student leaders joined the Class of 2019 at the Smith Center and then throughout the District of Columbia in a day filled with engaging speakers, direct service projects, reflection, and fun. The GW Community completed 7,525 service hours with an economic impact of $291,142.25.
Click here for a recap of the event in GW Today!
2015 Fun Facts
Despite torrential downpours, students served with 36 community partner organizations at 42 sites located in Maryland’s Montgomery and Prince George’s counties, Virginia’s Arlington and Fairfax counties, and all eight Wards of Washington, DC As a result of Freshman Day of Service:
- 200 care packages were packed for survivors of sexual assault with GW Students Against Sexual Assault
- 267 cards were written for children hospitalized with severe illnesse
- 1,800 HIV Prevention Packets were packed for distribution across Washington, DC
- 30 colonials became CPR certified with GW EMeRG
- 750 care packages were packed for sailors aboard the USS Carl Vinson
- 100 books were delivered to classrooms at Bancroft Elementary School
- 416 cards were written for currently deployed service members, veterans, and wounded warriors through Operation Gratitude
- 5 walls, 5 murals, 2 stair rails, and 4 stairwells were painted
- $5,000 worth of donations were sorted at Shelter House homeless shelter
- 95 bags of trash in local parks were collected
Check back for more information about Freshman Day of Service and Convocation 2016 or email us at email@example.com with any questions.