Post-Election Safety Precautions and Resources
Election Day, Tuesday, Nov. 8, if you need to be on and near the Foggy Bottom Campus during this time, please take the following safety precautions:
- Plan for the possibility of increased pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
- Make sure doors close and lock behind you as you arrive and depart.
- Do not allow strangers into GW buildings.
- Carry identification and your GWorld card at all times when on campus.
- If there is a disturbance, seek shelter indoors until normal conditions return. Observe directions from law enforcement personnel.
- GW Police and EMeRG will be on campus and will be available for assistance, if necessary.
We suggest preparing for the Election Day period as you would for a hurricane or a snowstorm that would prevent you from traveling.
After election results are public:
Some may want to celebrate while others may protest. If large crowds start to gather we urge you to follow these tips:
- Be aware of the behavior of those around you and report suspicious behavior.
- Monitor traffic reports, weather reports, and emergency notifications.
- Let someone who is not going with you know your plan.
- Stay hydrated and bring snacks/food with you as you travel to and from campus, as many businesses may close and there may be disruptions to your commute.
- Have a secondary communication plan in case cell phone signals are limited.
- Check out Tips for Safer Protesting and Election Planning Safety at the Office of Advocacy Support's Instagram page
The university will be monitoring activity in the District and will send email and text alerts to the entire GW community if necessary. The latest safety and security information will be posted on Campus Advisories. Additional safety and security resources can be found at the Division of Safety and Security's Website.