Jumpstart at GW
Jumpstart is a national AmeriCorps program that trains and places college students in teams to serve preschools in low-income neighborhoods for an academic year. Our mission is to work toward the day every child in America enters school prepared to succeed.
These Corps members attend Jumpstart sessions twice per week, implementing session plans that focus on language and literacy development, as well as social skills. Through individualized attention, Corps members work to prepare their preschool partner children for Kindergarten and beyond, utilizing principles of intrinsic motivation and learning through play.
Looking for a rewarding, fun and challenging position? Apply for Jumpstart! AmeriCorps Positions Available:
- Jumpstart Corp Members: Work with preschool children on reading, writing, and social skills. Earn Federal Work-Study, Receive professional training, serve 10-12 hours per week, and receive a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award once you receive 300 hours.
The GW Nashman Center also operates an AmeriCorps VISTA program in collaboration with DC Public Schools, which engages GW graduates and grad students in a year of service. Please visit the AmeriCorps VISTA page.
In the Classroom
Corps members spend their time reading with small groups of children, singing songs, playing games, painting, writing, experimenting, and doing other small-group activities.
During the academic year, Corps members work part-time for approximately 12 hours per week. The hours each week are divided among several service activities:
- Sessions with the team
- Team planning meetings
- Classroom assistance
- Individual planning hours
Students MUST be available during one of the following time slots:
- Mondays and Wednesdays 10:00am-11:30 am
- Mondays and Wednesdays 4:00pm-5: 30 pm
- Tuesdays and Thursdays 10:00am-11: 30 am
- Tuesdays and Thursdays 4:00pm-5: 30 pm
Contact us at [email protected] or call 202-994-0833